googleplus linkedin pinterest snapchat vimeo youtube

Study Abroad Financial Assistance

  • You will need to speak with your academic advisor well in advance of your intent to study abroad to ensure the study abroad courses and credits are approved for your academic program. Financial aid and scholarships can only be applied to a study abroad semester(s) for a student who is seeking their first degree. Enrollment in a study abroad program, approved for credit by TU, will have enrollment at TU for purposes of applying for federal financial aid.  TU will be considered the home school and will be responsible for processing federal financial aid.
  • You will need to contact the Center for Global Education (CGE) Office to inform them of your interest in a study abroad program.  After a decision has been made on your study abroad program, you will need to pick up a CGE Study Abroad Budget Form.  Complete the form and have a staff member from the CGE Office to sign it.  The CGE Study Abroad Budget Form is submitted to the Office of Student Financial Services from the CGE Office. Our office is located on the West side of Collins Hall.  The CGE Study Abroad Budget Form is only beneficial for federal student loan and private loan eligibility.  The CGE Study Abroad Budget Form will not increase your scholarship funding.  As a general rule, the scholarship, grant and loan funding you receive to attend TU will also apply to study abroad expenses. TU scholarships are not available for a summer semester. Note:  If you will be applying for Tuition Benefit, only one term of a study abroad program is covered by Tuition Benefit.  If you are awarded Federal Work Study (FWS) in your initial financial aid award and you plan to study abroad one of those semesters, you will need to accept the FWS for the semester you will not study abroad. FWS is awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis and if you decline FWS for the year, there is a good chance you will not get it back. If you plan to study abroad for the fall, you will cancel the fall, but accept the spring award and vice-versa. If the study abroad program you choose costs more than what you have been awarded in financial aid, the additional expenses will be absorbed by the student.  In addition to the CGE Study Abroad Budget Form, you will complete a Study Abroad/Visiting Student Form from the Office of Student Financial Services.
  • The CGE Office will send the Office of Student Financial Services a list of all students who plan to Study Abroad within 2 weeks of the start of the classes.
  • You must have a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) on file to be considered for federal Perkins loans, Subsidized/Unsubsidized loans, and Parent PLUS loans.  To be considered for federal financial aid, you must be in good standing and making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) at the time of your study abroad application and before receiving federal financial aid.
  • If your total study abroad expenses exceed or are less than your TU Cost of Attendance (budget) for the semester you plan to study abroad, those total expenses will replace the TU Cost of Attendance (budget).  An increase in expenses, increases the Cost of Attendance, which may increase your eligibility for federal student loans, if you have not been awarded the maximum amounts.
  • Your CGE Study Abroad Budget Form is submitted by CGE to the Office of Student Financial Services and reviewed by your financial aid counselor. The figures provided on this form are considered to be estimated pending final review of your study abroad cost of attendance by your financial aid counselor.  Your financial aid award could be revised and you would be notified through your TU email account.  In some instances, if you have been awarded the maximum amounts on federal loans, private loans would be the only alternative for funding.
  • After your financial aid has been awarded and you are ready to go study abroad, the CGE Office will contact the Bursar’s Office regarding the release of your funds to pay for your living expenses abroad. The Bursar’s Office will contact the Office of Student Financial Services to verify the actual disbursement date to deposit the financial aid funds into your student Bursar account.  The Bursar’s Office will address any questions or concerns you may have regarding how funds are disbursed and how to set up direct deposit.
  • Disbursement of student loans will credit the student’s account in the Bursar’s Office no earlier than 10 calendar days prior to the first day of class of the study abroad program. If applicable, all federal loans will be disbursed in one disbursement, if the student’s study abroad program is for one semester. However, if the student chooses to study abroad for a full academic year (fall-spring), the student will receive one disbursement per semester.
  • Due to federal regulations, all federal financial aid recipients receiving Pell Grant, SEOG, FWS, Perkins loans, Subsidized/Unsubsidized loans, and Parent PLUS loans must be reviewed at the end of each semester to ensure they are making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).  Grades from the semester you went study abroad must be posted to your TU academic transcript, so that the Office of Student Financial Services can review for SAP.  For example, if you went study abroad for the fall semester, the Office of Student Financial Services cannot release your federal financial aid for the spring semester until your study abroad grades are posted to your TU academic transcript. If you are a Presidential Scholar with no federal financial aid, your next semester’s funds will not disburse until academic transcripts have been received from the study abroad program.   All Presidential Scholars must complete at least twelve (12) credit hours per semester with a minimum 3.25 cumulative gpa.  After study abroad grades are posted to your TU academic transcript, eligibility for Presidential Scholar funding will be determined.
  • While you are abroad, you should maintain a full time status; otherwise, you will have received funding you were not eligible to receive.  If this scenario happens, you could lose some of your funding, and it could result in you owing money to TU. If you have questions or concerns about your financial aid funds, contact your financial aid counselor.